Medical Exams at the Children’s Advocacy Center
When there is a concern or report of abuse, children deserve a medical evaluation performed by a doctor, nurse practitioner or nurse with experience in this area.
The purpose of the medical exam is to:
- Ensure the health and well-being of the child
- Diagnose and treat medical conditions related to the abuse
- Reassure the child that everything is OK with their body
- Document any significant physical and forensic findings
- In the case of sexual abuse, allow for the collection of evidence that may be present on the child's body or clothing
The staff at the Children's Advocacy Center can arrange for a exam to be performed in the exam room on our premises, by a physician who is specially trained to identify abuse while remaining consistent with the CAC's mission to minimize any additional trauma. This service, like all of our services, is free.